Skip to main content

My Top 5 "Things From Home I Miss"

One of the top things I think I am asked over here in England (aside from "why the heck would you choose to come here!?"...It's a smaller town I'm in...) is: "What do you miss the most from back home?" It's a good and fair question I think! I've put quite a bit of thought into this question as well and have come up with the top 5 things I miss about home. Truth is, I've learned to adapt and become content in pretty much any situation. But just because I'm content doesn't mean there isn't a thing or two to be missed about my homeland! So, without further ado, here it is: 5. It's silly, but I'm going to throw it out there. Certain foods and restaurants. You can not get snow crab legs here at all and I ADORE snow crab! You can by King Crab for a ghastly amount and it's not the easiest to come by...But it's no comparison. Same goes for restaurants like Texas Road House. BUT I have a real new found love for Indian food and have to confess that I've become like Betty Crocker since I've moved here! I can imitate most of what I crave, so that helps! 4. SUMMER and SUN!! I do miss the warmth, my summer clothes, outdoor activities like white water rafting, floating the Boise River, camping, hiking and the many fairs that Boise would hold every year from the Western Idaho Fair to the Hyde Park Street Fair and Art in the Park! People complain that there was never anything to do there. I say there is, you just have to have a good imagination and know where to look! Where I live now, weather is not great. It's hard to go from a lot of outdoor activity and sun and warmth to chilly, rainy and gray all the time. (A magnificent plus though, when the sun IS out here, it is GORGEOUS! The colors are bright and vivid and absolutely breath taking!) 3. I miss my "special place" where I would go to get away from the muck of the world. If I was ever feeling over whelmed and like I was going to lose it, I would go to place close to Table Rock where I could park up and over look the whole city night or day. The view was both humbling and amazing! I think it would put in perspective that compared to this city I was looking down upon with thousands of people living it it, me and my issues were quite small and would pass. I could re-gain sanity and face the world again with new hope and courage. I haven't found a place like that here just yet. 2. I miss all my friends back at home and my social life! I had a really good solid group of friends that I felt really understood me (or were just really open minded gracious with me!) and was constantly busy withsomething to do! I have a lot of great memories and can just only hope to continue to be lucky enough to build a great group of friends here and get more actively involved in things here in England like I did at home! 1. I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss seeing my family or even just being able to pick up a telephone whenever I wanted and having a chat with them without it costing me my first born child. (Much like how much they charge us all for gas...Hhhmm...) Don't get me wrong, Skype is a wonderful invention and you take what you can get, even if it's a horrible connection. It's better than nothing, but being able to see them would be the best! Especially around the holidays, that does make me a bit more homesick for traditional things. There you have it! Once in a while I will have little "twinges" of other things I miss or things that make me go "ohh! I kinda miss that!", but I would still say the above list is my top 5. Before you jump to any conclusions, I'm not at all complaining and saying I hate where I live. In fact, I quite love it here! Like all moving experiences, it takes time to adjust and settle, which I feel like I have done well! I'm just really starting my discovery journey about the ways the England can and is fulfilling my personal likes and needs! My next post will highlight the things I love about England because that is another question I am asked a lot over here! I hope you enjoyed this list! If your an expat here, or anywhere! Feel free to share your feelings, experience, knowledge! I would love to hear and learn! Till next time... Live, Laugh, Love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little "mini-ventures" to make time pass!

So, I haven't had anything going on which has been the reason for no new updating posts, but I have been contemplating things that I want to do before I leave the states and start my new adventure! (Plus, I want something to talk about!!) So one mini-venture I thought I would get started is maybe (and I KNOW this is cliche'!): Losing a few pounds! (I just heard a million sighs and groans! LOL!) I have gained a little in the last couple months because of my food intake and well, I NEED to fit into that wedding dress! So, I'm praying to lose at least 5 pounds in the next 2 months (if not quicker!) and 10-15 by the time we do our honeymoon! SO, wish me luck and I will keep you updated on the progress! (This officially starts tomorrow by the way!) The 2nd idea I had was to start some sort of video blog to post to this as well just for fun or to show surroundings, etc! I was working on the idea tonight, but couldn't figure out how to work my hp mediasmart programs! LOL!

STILL Waiting!!!

UGHHH!!!! This is torture!! How long must I endure the painful wait?? (Please no comments of it "building character"....I DON'T CARE!!) I'm just very anxious! I thought I would be there by now and I'm finding myself stuck in the land of "what if?"...By this I mean questions that cause me to worry like "What if it got lost in the mail??", "What if they are taking so long because they are going to say no??", "What if it takes many months more to get my approval??"...etc! It's all stressful! I only have so much money to stretch out to a certain point! So, my fear is that I will run out of funding and need to get a temp job to make ends meet and Dave will have to pick up my slack more...*pout!* I don't know if my paperwork is coming via normal snail mail or certified mail, UPS, etc. and my biggest worry is that it gets lost! I have tried to remind myself that I DID receive the letter stating that it would take them 5-1

I'm Officially Married!!

Phew! What a wonderful past week! My heart is glowing and there's a permanent grin on my face today! I can't remember what I've posted in the past (I didn't look) so I will start with last Friday! Logically, I've been itching to make some friends and Friday night the one girl friend that I have right now invited me to go out with her and two others for a night in the town! Though they said it wasn't the best of all nights out there, I had a great time! One, because I was out with people and not alone! Two, because it was interesting to view the people and get a sense of things and so forth. It was just refreshing to get out and feel a part of something! Our wedding ceremony went great! Before the ceremony, we invited everyone over to the apartment for mimosa's (I didn't have any, I was too busy running around trying to get ready!) then we went off the the registrar office to have the ceremony, which I thought for a small short ceremony that it went